Located just off Times Square, St. Mary the Virgin parish dates back to what was then known as the “Longacre Square” residential neighborhood in midtown Manhattan. By 1890, the original Episcopal church on West 45th Street was already proving insufficient to hold the crowds drawn by pastor Thomas McKee Brown.
Four years later, the cornerstone of a new church—at its current location on West 46th Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues---was laid. In 1895, the new structure—designed in the French Gothic style by the architectural firm of Napoleon LeBrun and Sons—opened.
Post a Comment