Thursday, December 3, 2015

Photo of the Day: Street Musicians, Rockefeller Center, NYC



In mid-afternoon, stepping out for a late lunch, I was headed toward the subway concourse of my building when I heard the sounds of musicians up on the street: Avenue of the Americas, at the 48th Street corner. Curious, I hurried up the steps. The crowd wasn’t immense, but it was large enough that I did not have an unobstructed view for long when I took pictures of the trio.

The identifying sign behind them read “Lincoln.” I’m sure there was a logical reason for the name, but there was hardly time to ask before the show was over. It just seemed a bit incongruous to me, as Mr. Lincoln was one of the most melancholy occupants in the history of the White House, whereas the singer here, obviously, radiated joy.

When I came upon this group, they were playing the Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back.” Judging by the smiles around me, I think the listeners reflected the song’s message back. 

No comments: