“Are you lost daddy? I arsked
tenderly.
"Shut up he explained.” —American
sportswriter, short-story writer, and playwright Ring Lardner (1885-1933), “The
Young Immigrunts,” Saturday Evening Post, Jan. 31, 1920, reprinted in Ring Lardner: Stories and Other Writings, edited by Ian Frazier (2013)
I don’t know if, as an
American, you’ve heard of, let alone read, The Young Visiters, a 1919
novella written by an Englishwoman, Daisy Ashford, when she reportedly was only
nine years old.
One writer who looked at
it dubiously was Ring Lardner, who parodied it in The Young Immigrunts—first
as a long magazine article, then as a stand-alone book.
I suspect, even if you’re
unaware of the targets of Lardner’s satire, that you will laugh like mad at his
consistently surprising and hilarious use of American slang.
Friday, October 9, 2026
Quote of the Day (Ring Lardner, With a Father and Child on an Early 20th-Century Road Trip)
Labels:
American Literature,
Humor,
Quote of the Day,
Ring Lardner,
Satire,
Slang
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment