Friday, September 10, 2021

Photo of the Day: The Wall Street Bull, NYC

Early the other morning, as I picked up that day’s copy of The Wall Street Journal, the owner of the convenience store where I bought the paper said to me, “I hear there's going to be a crash on Wall Street.”

I closed my eyes for a few seconds. Great, just great, I thought. Let’s see: Afghanistan's ended as a bloody mess. Hurricane Ida made a mess of my hometown. The pandemic’s still raging. There’s still way too many unemployed. And now, this?

“Well, no, I hadn’t heard that,” I muttered at last, tired before the day had barely begun.

Well, there are still incurable optimists who will have none of that negative talk about the stock market. They have kept it afloat for years, even when their confidence appeared more like what onetime Federal Reserve chair Alan Greenspan called “irrational exuberance.”

Later that day, on only my second trip to New York City since the start of the pandemic, I saw the symbol of that hope in Lower Manhattan, near Bowling Green. The sculpture I photographed then, which accompanies this post, is formally named “The Charging Bull,” but many call it “The Wall Street Bull.” So shall I (even though some cynics may say that far too much bull is peddled in the Financial District on a regular basis).

Italian-American artist Arturo Di Modica (who died in February this year) originally installed the 11-foot, 7,000-lb. sculpture in time for Christmas 1989, in front of the New York Stock Exchange. I don’t know many people who would turn their noses up at a free gift, but the people in charge of the Stock Exchange did, and got it removed.

But in the meantime, the big creature had endeared himself to many, many more others in the area, and they succeeded in transferring it two blocks away, to its current location. Now it's a tourist magnet. (Indeed, I had to wait quite a while for enough people to step away so that I could catch the bull, so to speak, in all his glory, alone but ready to charge.)

You can read more about this outdoor sculpture in this post from the Web site “The Wall Street Experience.”

No comments: