Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Photo of the Day: Carnahan Garden, Chautauqua Institution, NY


Over the last 25 years, I have frequently vacationed at the Chautauqua Institution, a National Historic Landmark in southwestern New York. This year, with its traditional summer program of lectures, the arts, and entertainment relegated to the virtual sphere, I have chosen not to visit. 

I find myself missing it already, not just for these programs, but also for the quiet beauty of the grounds. Carnahan Garden, just off the amphitheater that serves as the heart of the community, is an example of this serenity. 

I took this photograph of the garden last summer. For nearly a half century, it has more than fulfilled its purpose of providing “quiet enjoyment” to Chautauquans eager to escape the noise and haste of the world.

No comments: