Monday, June 10, 2019

Photo of the Day: Walden Pond, Van Saun Park, Bergen County, NJ


A broadcast meteorologist of my youth, Bob Harris, was fond of saying that a particular 24-hour period was “one of the 10 most beautiful days of the year.” This past weekend in Northern New Jersey featured at least two of them for 2019, I think. To be more exact, it was the first weekend since April without rain, while the air was comfortably warm but not humid.  

On such a day, it felt like a sin to be inside, so I grabbed my camera and drove up to Van Saun County Park. More than a few people had the same idea I had yesterday. Many came out for cookouts, picnics or ballgames. Instead, I went toward the River Edge side of the park and circled around Walden Pond, where I took this picture.

1 comment:

Birch Grove said...

I grew up in River Edge from 1952 on - My 1st experience was a walk through the woods from above the zoo all the way to behind St. Peter's School - The Park had not been built yet - as i grew a little older that woods and then Van Saun Park was my backyard - and i would be down there most every day - Exploring or having fun with friends - I still go down there and play ball with my grandson and take walks with my wife with our dog = I have noticed in Recent Years Walden Pond - has never looked so bad - As Van Saun Park is the Crown Jewel of Parks in Bergen County , The Current state of it is simply = DISGRACEFUL - it is a Cesspool and aesthetically UNAPPEALING to anyone visiting this area of the park / I remember it was previously Dredged in THE PAST but not in at least a Decade -What & WHEN are the plans to restore this once Beautiful Attraction to its Original Intention ??????