Tuesday, April 16, 2019

TV Quote of the Day (‘Game of Thrones,’ As Tyrion Explains Why He Reads So Much)


Jon Snow [played by Kit Harington]: “Why do you read so much?”

Tyrion Lannister [played by Peter Dinklage]: “Look at me and tell me what you see.”

Jon: “Is this a trick?”

Tyrion: “What you see is a dwarf. If I had been born a peasant, they might have left me out in the woods to die. Alas, I was born a Lannister of Casterly Rock. Things are expected of me. My father was the Hand of the King for twenty years.”

Jon: “Until your brother killed that king.”

Tyrion: “Yes. Until my brother killed him. Life is full of these little ironies. My sister married the new king, and my repulsive nephew will be king after him. I must do my part for the honor of my house; wouldn't you agree? But how? Well, my brother has his sword, and I have my mind. And a mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone. That's why I read so much, Jon Snow.”—Game of Thrones, Season 1, Episode 2, “The Kingsroad,” original air date Apr. 24, 2011, teleplay by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, adapted from A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin, directed by Timothy Van Patten

Over the years, I’ve heard some variant on Jon Snow’s question hundreds of times. I wish I had been as ready with a response--and as eloquent--as Tyrion Lannister. 

On the other hand, I'm glad I never belonged to a family like his...

No comments: