Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Quote of the Day (Roger L. Simon, on Nora Ephron and What Splits and Unites Us)


“When I knew Nora, I was a liberal on her side of the fence. We never spoke after I made my political change, well over a decade ago now….

“But death, as any decent rabbi would say (so why shouldn’t I?), is a time to reflect. We all have our ideas and solutions for the world, how things should or shouldn’t be fixed. But we’re all just people, making our way. If we have compassion for each other even as we disagree, life might be better for all.

“God knows it’s short enough.”—Mystery novelist, screenwriter and conservative blogger Roger L. Simon, remembering fellow screenwriter Nora Ephron (1941-2012), in the blog post  “Nora Ephron Passes,” June 26, 2012

I had another piece I was going to post in this space, and I wasn’t even that keen to write about Ephron herself (about whom I have written before here, anyway). But the partisan divisions among Americans have become so screaming loud that it’s important to be reminded, as Simon does here, of the essentials in life.

“The paths of glory lead but to the grave,” the poet Thomas Gray wrote. So do our differences. If death is not a time for lowering the voices, when will that time ever come?

No comments: