Saturday, September 10, 2016

Photo of the Day: 9/11 Memorial in Paramus, NJ



New Jersey had the most victims of any state outside of New York itself on 9/11, so it should have come as no surprise to me that memorials commemorating that tragic day can be found all over Bergen County, where I live. Still, the appearance of another, more often than not, comes out of left field for me, usually because, like so many other people, I am rushing to get from one place to another and not expecting something that makes me pause.

That accounts for my state of mind when I came across the Howland Memorial Grove in Paramus back in May. While driving on Howland Avenue, a street filled with residents, I was suddenly struck by this patch of green. I pulled over to a side street, got out of my car, walked over to see this park honoring Paramus citizens who perished on September 11, 2001, and took this photograph.

It seems like the least I can do to commemorate people who were, for many of us, friends, neighbors, or loved ones of people we know. 

No comments: