Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Photo of the Day: Winter, in Black and White



I photographed this scene Monday morning, midway in the latest winter storm that my area of northern New Jersey has experienced. With five inches of snow cleared from my walk, I trudged several blocks away, through slush and untouched other piles of snow, to the bus stop I take to work. There are actually railroad tracks beneath the dip in the hill, but you can’t see them in this shot because of the snowdrifts.

By the time I made it home that night, two or three more inches of snow awaited me—made all the worse by a sublayer of ice that had formed in the intervening 12 hours. Subfreezing temperatures today ensured that constant sunshine, let alone my efforts, would be unable to make a dent in what had fallen the day before.

The weather forecasters predict more of the white stuff between now and Sunday night. I guess you can say this is Mother Nature’s way of compensating for the comparative warm spell we enjoyed in the New York area in the early part of this winter.

No comments: