Saturday, June 5, 2010

Quote of the Day (BP’s Tony Hayward, With Self-Serving Drivel)



“The first thing to say is I’m sorry. We’re sorry for the massive disruption it’s caused their lives. There’s no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back.”—BP CEO Tony Hayward, visiting Venice, La., to apologize for the disaster his company perpetrated, then worsening it with out-of-place self-pity, quoted in “Embattled BP Chief: I Want My Life Back,” The Times (London), May 31, 2010

It might be argued that I’m doing the gaffe-prone head of BP a favor by not putting his picture up with this post so my readers can throw darts at it. I could also have included pictures of angry residents in the area.


The accompanying picture, I think it's clear, shows the cost--multiplied a thousandfold--to the environment by all of this.

But Hayward’s comment is so astonishingly obtuse that it really deserves to stand on its own. There's no better example of the epic cluelessness and callousness behind the greatest environmental disaster in American history.

No comments: