Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Photo of the Day: Blowin’ in the Wind (or, At Least, Times Square)



“A change in the weather is known to be extreme,” Bob Dylan sang on Blood on the Tracks, and the last two days were as dramatic proof as I can imagine of this. While yesterday was intolerably muggy, the temperatures today dropped 20 degrees. Most of all, the still air characteristic of yesterday’s humidity was replaced a mere 24 hours later by sharp winds. I dressed in only a jacket, but I felt the need to tighten it around me.

One person unfazed by it all was this midtown jazzman. In contrast to the costumed characters and the underclothed men and women who have occupied Times Square in force these last few years when it became more of a pedestrian plaza, this fellow worked at what he did and had genuine talent.

“Make sure you snap that collection box,” an Elvis impersonator instructed me as I took this photo. With any luck, it didn’t take long to fill up for the Times Square Jazzman, as I‘ve taken to calling him.

No comments: