Monday, December 8, 2014

Photo of the Day: Lighthouse, Harbour Town, Hilton Head SC




As I write this post, the weather report calls for a nor’easter. For days and nights like this, for time immemorial, the role of the lighthouse has been essential for guiding sailors.

One of my friends is quite an aficionado of these structures. Come holiday time, a calendar featuring lighthouses is a gift much prized by him.

I think my friend would feel special affection for this lighthouse I came across last month while visiting the Harbour Town section of Sea Pines Resort in Hilton Head, S.C. It’s not necessarily that this is a particularly historic building, but it is a fine, gleaming structure amid a yacht basin that is, from all appearances, thriving.

Come to think of it, I have favorite associations with that word "lighthouse,"not just visually but musically. It's not only one of my favorite "deep album cuts" of the Seventies, James Taylor's song of the same name on his album Gorilla, but also the name of a Canadian band that mixed rock and jazz in such great songs as "One Fine Morning," "Sunny Days" and "Pretty Lady."

No comments: