Monday, May 14, 2012

Quote of the Day (Samuel Johnson, on the Outcome to His Marriage Proposal)


“Mother, I have not deceived Mrs. Porter: I have told her the worst of me; that I am that I am of mean extraction; that I have no money: and that I have had an uncle hanged. She replied that she valued no one more or less for his descent; that she had no more money than myself; and that, though she had not had a relation hanged, she had fifty who deserved hanging.”—British man of letters Samuel Johnson, explaining to his skeptical mother the astonishing denouement of his marriage proposal to a widow 25 years his senior, quoted in James Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson: Including a Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides (1791)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Dear,


This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic. You know You definitely put a new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!


Best Regards,
Austin Mark
Johnson Boat Parts