Friday, June 21, 2019

Photo of the Day: Yoga in the Rain, Times Square, NYC


The last couple of years, when the first day of summer rolls around, I’ve gotten used to seeing Solstice in Times Square. I’ve smiled indulgently as hundreds of bodies, even as they meditate in leader-leg yoga sessions at the crossroads of the world, twist their bodies into shapes I would not dare try lest I suddenly discover a muscle I didn’t know I had by wrenching it.

Doing all of that on a really, really warm day is not what I’m accustomed to doing. But heck, could this be what these practitioners have in mind when they talk about “hot yoga”?

But that practice took on what I could only think of as sadism this morning on my way to work. Not only were hundreds of people out around 9 in the morning, but they were doing so when the day was still rather humid. 

Worse than that, the weather was, as it seemed to have been most of this week, rainy. And here everyone was, squatting on the ground again amid a steady, dispiriting drizzle.

What was this, a new form of capital punishment?

No comments: