Sunday, September 2, 2018

Photo of the Day: Close of Summer, Chautauqua Lake, NY


The high temperature and the humidity tell my body something different, but for many of us in Northern New Jersey, this weekend marks the unofficial end of summer. Yet for many in upstate New York, summer's close came last weekend, with the conclusion of the nine-week programming season at Chautauqua Institution

I do not live in the area year-round, nor did I summer there as a child. But over the years, I have probably spent more summer vacations in this area than anywhere else I can think of. For the provocative thinking and arts entertainment it offers, the spirit of Chautauqua has entered my being enough that it is hard to get it out of my system, even, as happened these past few years, when I stay away for a while.

But part of the magic of the site is the serene body of water bordering this gated Victorian community, Chautauqua Lake. A week ago this past Friday, I knew I could not really bid goodbye there again until I walked by the lake before the concert that night. 

And so, with the sun receding and the shadows gathering, I took one last walk around this largest lake in western New York; gloried in the crisp, cool night air; and captured it on camera in its all its transient splendor.

No comments: